The NCAA’s Early Signing Period began this week and many of San Diego’s best football prospects elected to sign with their future colleges, many of which had been committed there for some time.
- The Early Signing Period for Football began this past Wednesday and ran through Friday. For a list of signees:
*SIGNING DAY THREAD*
— Bodie DeSilva (@SDPreps) December 20, 2017
- Buffalo offered 2018 Clairemont HS DE-OLB Michael Azevedo.
- Former Castle Park HS DB Luq Barcoo has committed to San Diego State. He is currently at Grossmont College.
- Nebraska offered 2018 Mission Hills HS WR Chris Olave, who will take more visits and sign in February.
- Western State offered 2018 Steele Canyon HS QB-ATH Thomas Fishburne.
- 2020 St. Augustine PG Kimo Ferrari has checked out of the school. Ferrari was in his 2nd season as the starting point guard for the Saints. His next destination is unknown.
- 2018 Foothills Christian F Taeshon Cherry has decommitted from USC.
- Westview executed the upset of the season to date as they took down #3 Foothills Christian, 73-71, in the Grossmont Winter Classic.
- #4 Mission Bay defeated Helix 66-52 to win the Sweetwater Lions Club Classic.
- 2018 Canyon Crest SG Aaron Acosta committed to Colorado College.
- So-Cal Football Coach/Writer Chris Fore notes that he has heard rumors about former Helix Coach Troy Starr being linked to the opening at Mt. Miguel.
Big rumor all over San Diego is Coach Troy Starr to Mt Miguel. Lots of folks asking about this/telling me about it today. Best SD source I have told me about it Tuesday. If this happens, biggest hire this offseason so far! Coach Starr is a very successful coach.
— Chris Fore, MA, CAA (@CoachFore) December 23, 2017
- Former La Costa Canyon HS OL David Quessenberry, who has battled cancer since being drafted by the Houston Texans in 2013, is expected to make his NFL Debut tonight.
- Former Rancho Bernardo HS pitcher Cole Hamels, who just completed his 12th season in the Major Leagues, along with his wife Heidi, donated their recently finished, multi-million dollar house in Missouri to a camp for children with special needs. LINK
- 2011 Mt. Miguel HS grad Cory Littleton had his best career NFL performance on Sunday, with 7 tackles, a sack, and an INT.
- 2017 St. Augustine HS grad Tariq Thompson finished his freshman season at SDSU with 63 tackles and 5 INT’s. He was named a Freshman All-American.
- Oceanside HS alum Mikah Holder finished his Aztecs career with 99 catches, 1,675 yards, and 13 TD’s.
- Mira Mesa HS alum Trey Lomax finished his Aztecs career with 175 tackles, and 3 INT’s.
- 2017 Foothills Christian HS alum Jaylen Hands had 14 points for UCLA in their upset win over #7 Kentucky on Saturday.