We start this week with incredibly sad news. The San Diego Sports Community is mourning the loss of Granite Hills HS Senior William Burton. Burton was a standout on the football field and baseball diamond for the Eagles, earning a spot on the All-CIF 1st Team Defense this season. William was killed in an auto accident on Monday night heading home from the Football Team’s banquet.
- San Diego State offered 2018 Eastlake OL Billy Dunkle, who plans to make his college decision on Monday night.
- Colorado offered 2019 Madison RB Kenan Christon.
- California offered 2018 Madison LB Chris Fatilua.
- 2018 Madison DL Cesar Nillaga committed to The University of Pennsylvania.
- San Diego State offered 2018 Helix QB Carson Baker, who is currently committed to UC-Davis.
- UCLA offered 2018 Morse ATH Martell Irby, who is currently committed to Arizona.
- Tennessee offered 2018 Mission Hills WR Chris Olave.
- Tennesee had an in-home visit with 2018 Helix DB Isaac Taylor-Stuart.
- 2018 Prospects Ike Hall LB/St. Augustine HS, Mozes Mooney WR/Bishop’s School, and Michael Azevedo DE/Clairemont HS all took an official visit to Columbia University this past weekend.
- Mission Hills Senior Quarterback Jack Tuttle was this years recipient of the KUSI PPR Silver Pigskin Award. Tuttle plans to enroll early at The University of Utah.
- Steele Canyon defeated Half Moon Bay HS, 44-42, to win the D3-A California State Title.
- Helix, Vincent Memorial, and Southwest El Centro all advanced to State Title games but were unable to pull out victories.
- Cerritos College was selected as the Host Site for the 2018 and 2019 CIF State Football Championships.
- 2020 El Camino QB DJ Ralph will transfer to Cathedral Catholic.
- 2018 San Diego HS guard Thomas Marcus, who has committed to play football at Arizona, had a Dunk of the Year Candidate earlier this week.
- Torrey Pines (10-0) defeated San Marcos (8-2) in the North County Classic, 60-55. Junior Guard Bryce Pope was named MVP of the tournament.
- Torrey Pines and Vista played an exciting semi-final game that went to overtime.
Torrey Pines leading Vista in overtime https://t.co/Hk7IqygIv8
— Bodie DeSilva (@SDPreps) December 16, 2017
- Foothills Christian got back on the winning track with an 81-51 win over Canyon Crest and a 91-51 win over La Jolla.
- The Sweetwater Lions Club Classic begins tomorrow at Sweetwater HS. Participating teams include: Crawford, Helix, Jurupa Hills (Fontana), Morse, San Dieguito Academy, Sweetwater, El Camino, Hoover, Mission Bay, Mira Mesa, Southwest SD, and Point Loma.
- The Torrey Pines Holiday Classic will begin on December 26th with three tip-off games featuring San Diego’s Top Teams.
- 5:00pm– Mission Bay vs. La Jolla Country Day
- 6:30pm– Torrey Pines vs. St. Augustine
- 8:00pm– Foothills Christian vs. Mater Dei Catholic
- Tyree Robinson of Lincoln HS and Royce Freeman of Imperial HS finished up their collegiate careers for the University of Oregon this past weekend in the Las Vegas Bowl.
- 2011 Rancho Buena Vista grad Johnny Dee, who averaged 32.8 ppg in his senior season, had a 34 points outburst in a recent game while playing for Araberri in Spain. He’s averaging 16 ppg for the season.
- Otay Ranch grad Luis Perez never played quarterback during his time as a Mustang, but after a stop at Southwestern College he won the Harlon Hill Award this season as the best Division-2 Football Player in the Country, while playing for Texas A&M-Commerce. A nice profile of Perez from ESPN.
- Be on the lookout for a significant local basketball transfer to be announced later this week.