After sitting his junior season following a transfer from Eastlake HS, Chris Olave had one of the best seasons of any receiver in San Diego History this past year. Olave had 93 catches for 1,764 yards, and 26 touchdowns. Throughout high school, Olave has shown his athleticism as a 3-sport athlete, also playing basketball and track and field. He is the primary ball handler for the basketball team, runs the 100M, 200M, and participates in the long jump.
- 2018 Mission Hills WR Chris Olave committed to Ohio State.
- 2018 Madison LB Chris Fatilua committed to California.
- 2018 Helix DB Isaac Taylor-Stuart took an official visit to Alabama.
- 2018 Lincoln RB Kenyon Sims took an official visit to Illinois.
- 2019 Madison RB Kenan Christon picked up offers from Boston College and Penn.
- 2018 Clairemont DE Michael Azevedo committed to Princeton.
- Former Torrey Pines/Southwestern CC DE Steven Mason picked up an offer from Boise State, and took an official visit to UCLA.
- 2011 Scripps Ranch grad Xander Schauffele received his trophy as the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year before playing at the Farmers Insurance Open.
- USC offered 2019 Mission Bay PG Boogie Ellis.
- 2018 Foothills Christian F Taeshon Cherry committed to Arizona State following his official visit.
- 2018 St. Augustine LB Isaac Hall committed to Princeton.
- 2018 San Marcos OL Andrew Meyer committed to Air Force.
- Florida offered 2018’s Chris Olave (Mission Hills) and Isaac Taylor-Stuart (Helix).
- Colorado offered 2019 Carlsbad ATH Asa Turner.
- Westview Head Coach Kyle Williams has resigned to take the Defensive Backs Job at Southeastern Louisiana University.
- Chris Thompson, formerly at Bonita Vista, has taken the Head Coaching Position at Mira Mesa HS.
- On Saturday, Mission Bay hosted the inaugural Battle at the Bay.
- La Jolla Country Day defeated Cathedral Catholic, 69-35, led by Ryan Langborg’s 29 points.
- Foothills Christian defeated the host Mission Bay in overtime, 61-58.
- Mission Hills WR Chris Olave took an official visit to UCLA this weekend.
- Helix DB Isaac Taylor-Stuart took an official visit to USC this weekend.
- Foothills Christian F Taeshon Cherry took an official visit to Arizona State this weekend.
- Former San Marcos and Oregon State LB Joah Robinett committed to San Diego State. He will have three seasons of eligibility beginning in the fall.
- San Marcos OL Andrew Meyer picked up an offer from Kent State.
- St. Augustine Head Coach Richard Sanchez has left the Saints to take a job coaching the defensive backs at San Diego State.
- El Camino junior DB Demarcus Griffin has transferred to Chandler HS in Arizona.
- 2011 Grossmont grad Joe Musgrove, a former 1st-round pick who won the World Series with the Houston Astros this past season, was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday.
- Former Del Norte CB Quenton Meeks has declared for the 2018 NFL Draft following three seasons at Stanford University. I spoke with Meeks during his senior season with the Knighthawks.
- La Costa Canyon grad Coco Vandeweghe is seeded 10th in the Australian Open that gets underway today in Melbourne.
- Mission Hills WR Chris Olave picked up an offer from Oregon State.
- Mission Bay PG Boogie Ellis picked up an offer from Nevada.
- La Costa Canyon QB Jake Neufeld picked up an offer from Stetson University.
- 2019 Brawley ATH Casey Kline decommitted from Arizona following the coaching change.
- #7 La Jolla Country Day had a strong week with a home, league win over Santa Fe Christian and a road, non-league win over #4 St. Augustine.
- With the College Football Season ending on Monday night, many of the countries best Draft-Eligible Prospects have been invited to postseason All-Star Games, including several from San Diego.
- Senior Bowl–
- Royce Freeman- Imperial HS/Oregon
- Darren Carrington- Horizon HS/Utah
- Scott Quessenberry- La Costa Canyon HS/UCLA
- Fred Warner- Mission Hills HS/BYU
- NFLPA Bowl–
- Mikah Holder- Oceanside HS/SDSU
- Luis Perez- Otay Ranch HS/Texas A&M-Commerce
- Jonathan Peterson- Poway HS/USD
- Shrine Bowl–
- Jacob Alsadek- Torrey Pines HS/Arizona
- Foothills Christian Grad TJ Leaf had his best career NBA game to-date in Saturday’s win over the Chicago Bulls. He had 15 points on 6-6 shooting, with 6 rebounds.
- La Costa Canyon Grad Kevin O’Connell, a former San Diego State and NFL Quarterback, has been promoted to Passing Game Coordinator with the Washington Redskins, in addition to his position as the teams QB Coach. O’Connell turned down an offer to become the UCLA Offensive Coordinator to remain with Washington.
- Point Loma Grad Jamal Agnew was named an NFL All-Pro as a return specialist in his rookie season with the Detroit Lions.
Not much to report on this week, with it being sandwiched by the Holidays.
- The LA Times has reported that Foothills Christian F Taeshon Cherry is named in the FBI College Basketball Scandal currently being investigated on. Cherry recently decommitted from USC. LINK
- Mission Bay had an impressive showing in the Torrey Pines Holiday Classic, finishing in 3rd place out of 16 teams in the National Division.
- 2018 Mt. Carmel LB Andrew Mata’afa announced his commitment to Utah.
- WR Darren Carrington (Horizon/Oregon/Utah) and CB Jalen Davis (Helix HS/Utah State) both wrapped up impressive college careers that will see them given the shot at the next level.