Last Sunday, I made the trip to Redondo Union High School for Nike’s annual combine/skills camp in Los Angeles.
Around 20 prospects from San Diego were on hand for the day long event.
- 2016 Mission Hills QB Dakota Miller was the best of the local QB’s. He’s left handed, which seems to be a negative against quarterback prospects nowadays, but has mobility and good junior film. Miller was picked as one of six quarterbacks from the event that made it to the pressure chamber event to end the day.
- 2016 Mt. Carmel QB Lucas Johnson also had a good afternoon. He’s a very athletic passer with good speed and made the most impressive play of the 2014 season in my opinion in the playoff win vs. Del Norte.
- 2016 Helix QB Michael Austin has put up nice numbers as the Highlanders signal caller the last two seasons. He looked good on Sunday, but must add weight for the next level and doesn’t have the best frame to do so. His athleticism makes him one to watch, nonetheless.
- 2017 La Jolla Country Day QB Braxton Burmeister committed to Arizona during his sophomore season, choosing the Wildcats over Florida, and has since added an offer from Boston College. He doesn’t play in one of the tougher leagues in San Diego, but the talent is clearly there.
- 2016 Carlsbad QB Shea Morales and 2017 Mira Mesa QB Tristan Hughes were also in attendance.
- 2016 Mira Mesa WR Steffon McKnight another strong outing. He has electric speed and cuts very well, making him one of the top receivers on the west coast and a national recruit. In 1 on 1 drills, DB’s chose to play off, afraid of getting beat deep but ended up leaving him too much room over the middle.
- 2016 Helix WR/TE Mason Vinyard had a nice afternoon after injuring a leg early on. He’s got really nice size at 6’5″ and could potentially transition into a tight end by adding some weight to his frame.
- 2016 Mission Hills DB Troy Warner has been one of the hottest recruits in the county lately, picking up big offers from across the country. BYU was the first to offer (where his brother Fred plays), but almost all of the Pac-12, and Notre Dame have extended offers since then. Warner has very good size and his footwork kept him close the receivers in the drills I saw.
- 2016 Grossmont DB Alex Lilliard had a good showing going up against the best on the west coast and showed why he should be a Division 1 recruit come signing day in 2016.