- Preseason #1 Helix made the trek north to take on a Top-50 nationally ranked Cajon team of San Bernardino. Cajon quarterback Jayden Daniels, an Elite 11 Finalist, had his way as he went 10 of 11 through the air for 5 touchdowns and ran for another as he gave the Cowboys a 43-3 halftime lead, which ended up being the final score.
- Preseason #2 Torrey Pines headed south to open the season at #9 Eastlake. The Falcons had the ground game working as they got 120+ rushing games out of running backs Mac Bingham and Evan Galluzzi. Quarterback Jason Heine had a touchdown run, but the Falcons weren’t able to finish drives scoring only 13 points. Luckily for them the defense picked up the slack, forcing several Titan turnovers and pitching an opening week shutout. The Falcons will see several first place votes this week after opening with a 13-0 win.
- Preseason #3 Cathedral Catholic challenged themselves with an early season road game against #6 La Costa Canyon. The Dons suffered an early injury to running back Shawn Poma and committed two early personal foul penalties. The Mavericks added two early field goals before Marshall Eucker found Trevor Gonzales in the end zone just before the half. Cathedral got on the board in the fourth quarter when Shawn Poma scored on 4th and goal from a few yards out. The Dons got the ball back but fumbled it away on the 2nd play leading directly to a Karson Lippert 46 yard touchdown run that put the game out of reach. Maverick Juniors Marshall Eucker, Trevor Gonzales, and Ozzie Nicholas (5.5 sacks) all had impressive starts to the season and should make the Mavs a top team for the next two seasons.
- Preseason #4 Mission Hills has set themselves up with a very challenging opening month of the season. They welcomed Paramount in week one. Mission Hills didn’t have much answer to the Pirates passing game as Kingston Hala threw for 307 yards and 4 TD’s. Star receiver Darius Wallace, a 4-star in the ’20 class, impressed by catching 7 passes for 179 yards and 2 TD’s. The Grizzlies scored late, but Paramount held on 26-18. Mission Hills will have to bounce back quickly as they host Westlake (Westlake Village), Chaminade (West Hills), and Carlsbad over the next three weeks.
- Preseason #5 Madison (who I voted #1) opened at home with a solid Rancho Bernardo team. The Broncos had all eyes on Warhawks star running back Kenan Christon, holding him to 60 yards rushing, but that allowed teammate Daniel Stokes to run for 149 yards and a TD on only 8 carries. The two teams were tied at the half, but the Broncos added a safety to take a lead after three quarters. Madison added a 4th quarter touchdown to go ahead for good en route to a 19-15 opening week win.
- Preseason #7 San Marcos hosted Otay Ranch. The Mustangs started quickly, holding a lead after the 1st quarter as well as halftime, but San Marcos added a touchdown in each of the last two quarters to hold on for a 24-21 win. Both teams will be presumably tested again in week #2. The Knights will head south to take on a Grossmont team that took down Bishop’s in week #1, while the Mustangs will play host to a Valley Center team that scored 57 points in their opener.
- Preseason #8 Ramona welcomed Mater Dei Catholic up to the hill. The Bulldogs, led by new quarterback Derek Diamond, a Stanford baseball commit, had a strong effort on both sides of the ball that en route to a 28-0 victory. They’ll have a long trip this next week when they head to Point Loma. The Crusaders will be back in similar territory when they head to take on El Capitan.
- Preseason #10 Steele Canyon faced a tough test coming off of a state title as they traveled to play unranked Carlsbad (who I had ranked #8). The Lancers showed they belong in a strong Avocado League this season and routed the Cougars 41-13. Carlsbad will welcome in Desert Vista from Phoenix next week while the Cougars will return home to host Brawley.
- NOTES: It was a tough opener for Bishop’s as they fell to a Grossmont team they had beaten in the opener a year ago, but the worse news was losing 5-star sophomore quarterback Tyler Buchner on the opening series of the year. His knee injury is expected to cost him the remainder of the season.
- 2019 Mission Bay G Boogie Ellis announced his final 8 schools.
Final 8️⃣ ! I would like to thank all the coaches that have recruited me during this process! pic.twitter.com/9MFjn4C1PL
— Boogie Ellis (@BoogieEllis) August 14, 2018
- 2019 Cathedral Catholic TE Jake Mitten picked up an offer from Morehead State.
- In Episode #2 of the SDPI In-depth Podcast, I caught up with 2019 San Marcos QB Miles Hastings, who’s committed to play at UC-Davis. Listen here!
- As the 2018 High School Football Season gets started, here are the committed football prospects from San Diego.
Committed Football Prospects from San Diego to start the season— pic.twitter.com/LdK2IDYYtX
— Bodie DeSilva (@SDPreps) August 17, 2018
- 2012 Poway grad Kevin Newman, who was a 1st round pick out of Arizona in 2015, was called up to the major league roster for his debut by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- 2013 Cathedral Catholic grad Stephen Gonsalves, a 4th round pick of the Minnesota Twins out of high school, was called up to the majoe league roster, and will make his debut on the mound on Monday night.
- 2013 grads Darren Carrington, a wide receiver out of Horizon HS and Jacob Alsadek, an offensive lineman out of Torrey Pines HS both signed with the Dallas Cowboys this past week. Both players went undrafted in the 2018 NFL Draft after having successful college careers in the PAC-12.
- Christian Chapman, a 2014 Carlsbad grad and 5th year senior quarterback at San Diego State, was named a candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.
- Rancho Bernardo had two grads square off on the mound when the Pirates hosted the Cubs earlier this week.
Battle of Rancho Bernardo HS scheduled to start in 4 1/2 hours. Cole Hamels of the Cubs is a 2002 alum, Pirates starter Trevor Williams was captain of the baseball team in 2010: pic.twitter.com/eILVB5AzYq
— Mark Gonzales (@MDGonzales) August 17, 2018
- 2015 San Marcos grad Cody Meyer, an offensive lineman who walked-on at Montana, was awarded a scholarship as the Grizzlies wrapped up fall training camp.
— Riley Corcoran (@VoiceoftheGriz) August 14, 2018
- 2019 Mission Bay G Boogie Ellis picked up offers from Oklahoma and Memphis.
- 2019 Torrey Pines OL-DL Payson Campisano committed to Cal Poly.
- 2018 Torrey Pines LHP Kendall Burnett committed to Pacific.
- 2019 Torrey Pines G Bryce Pope picked up an offer from Army.
- 2019 Cathedral Catholic OF-RHP Jake Connelly committed to Utah.
On Episode #2 of the SDPI In-depth Podcast, I sat down with San Marcos QB Miles Hastings to preview the upcoming season. Listen here!
- 2012 Poway grad Kevin Newman, a shortstop in the Pittsburgh Pirates Organization, went 5-5 and hit for the cycle on Tuesday for the Indianapolis Indians.
- 2011 Lincoln grad Norman Powell, a guard with the Toronto Raptors, hosted his annual camp at his Alma mater.
- 2017 Helix grad Scott Young is has been reinstated with the football team at Arizona, but will be suspended for the season opener.
Arizona sophomore DB Scottie Young Jr., who started 9 games as a freshman, suspended for opener vs. BYU
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) August 11, 2018
- 2019 Mission Bay G Boogie Ellis picked up offers from Gonzaga and Colorado.
- 2019 Foothills Christian F Derrick Carter-Holinger picked up an offer from UC-Riverside.
- 2019 University City WR Casey Granfors picked up an offer from Air Force.
- 2019 La Jolla Country Day G Ryan Langborg committed to Princeton.
- 2019 Eastlake OL Vincent Santos picked up an offer from Navy.
- 2019 La Costa Canyon RB Karson Lippert picked up an offer from Air Force.
- 2019 Parker LS Peter Bowden committed to Wisconsin.
- With the football season only a few days away (scrimmages are this week!), I talked with Torrey Pines Running Back Mac Bingham, a USC Baseball commit, who is looking to build on last season’s performance that saw his run for 1,200 yards and find the end zone 18 times. LINK!
- 2011 Rancho Buena Vista grad Johnny Dee has signed to play professionally for Real Betis in Spain’s Top Division.
- 2014 St. Augustine grad Trey Kell has signed professionally to play for KK Igokea in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- 2021 Bishop’s QB Tyler Buchner picked up an offer from Oregon.
- 2019 Mission Bay G Boogie Ellis picked up an offer from Arizona State.
- 2019 St. Augustine F Chibuzo Agbo picked up an offer from USD.
- ’76 Kearny HS grad Alan Trammell was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday. Trammell played shortstop for the Detroit Tigers for 20 seasons, winning six gold gloves and being named MVP of the 1984 World Series.
- 2019 Mission Bay G Boogie Ellis picked up an offer from Wichita State.
- 2020 St. Augustine F Chibuzo Agbo picked up an offer from UC-Davis and UC-Irvine.
- 2020 Foothills Christian G Yassine Gharram picked up an offer from UC-Davis.
- 2019 La Costa Canyon RB Karson Lippert picked up an offer from Northern Arizona.
- San Diego had a very strong showing at the 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie Golf Links in Scotland.
- T-2: Xander Schauffele – Scripps Ranch HS
- T-17: Pat Perez – Torrey Pines HS
- T-17: Charley Hoffman – Poway HS
- T-24: Phil Mickelson – USDHS
- T-35: Michael Kim – Torrey Pines HS
- 2019 Carlsbad ATH Asa Turner committed to Washington.
- 2019 Lincoln DB Don Chapman committed to Colorado.
- 2019 Santa Fe Christian P/K Jack Bosman committed to Yale.
- 2019 Mission Bay PG Boogie Ellis picked up offers from Oregon and NC State. Ellis had an excellent week playing for the Oakland Soldiers at the annual Peach Jam in South Carolina.
Not many guys have boosted their stock this week more than ESPN 100 guard Boogie Ellis. Consistently making plays, hitting perimeter shots. Most of the PAC-12 heavily involved, Georgia Tech in the mix. Duke has begun watching him a bit the last couple days, too. #PeachJam
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) July 14, 2018
- Three of San Diego’s best rising senior baseball players were named to the Perfect Game All-American Classic, showcasing the best high school baseball players in the country. The game will be held at Petco Park on Sunday, August 12th.
- 2019 LHP/1B Spencer Jones of La Costa Canyon.
- 2019 RHP/3B Derek Diamond of Ramona.
- 2019 1B/OF Garrett Frechette of Cathedral Catholic.
- 2019 Francis Parker punter/kicker Ryan Sanborn, who also plays quarterback for the Lancers, was named to the 2019 Army All-American Game in San Antonio.
- 2011 Torrey Pines grad Michael Kim picked up his first career win on the PGA Tour, shooting 27-under and winning by 8 shots at the John Deere Classic.
- 2015 Madison grad Imani Abdullah, who was drafted by the Dodgers in the 11th round out of high school, has retired from professional baseball. Abdullah struggled with injuries during his minor league career.
- 2012 Torrey Pines grad Luc Rennie, who was drafted by the Orioles in the 16th round out of high school, has signed with the New York Mets. Rennie had been pitching in the Independent League the past three seasons, posting excellent numbers this season.
- I’m excited to be pairing up with San Diego Prep Insider to host a podcast starting very soon.
We are very excited to announce that Bodie DeSilva aka @SDPreps will be joining SD Prep Insider to head up our new podcast channel with a focus on long form interviews with the biggest athletes, coaches and influencers in San Diego high school sports. Please give him a follow! pic.twitter.com/3SXbZcV7TO
— FoxSportsSDPI (@SDPrepInsider) July 8, 2018
- Long time California High School writer/historian Mark Tennis has released a new book covering great stories about high school football in California.
— Bodie DeSilva (@SDPreps) July 14, 2018
- 2019 Torrey Pines OL Payson Campisano picked up an offer from Cal Poly.
- 2019 Eastlake OF Micah Pietila-Wiggs committed to New Mexico.
- La Costa Canyon‘s Spencer Jones and Ramona‘s Derek Diamond were both named to the Under Armour All-American Game on July 20th at Wrigley Field.
- 2011 Rancho Buena Vista grad Johnny Dee had a huge game at the Drew League on Sunday playing for the Reapers, finishing with 30 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists.
- 2019 Helix LB Michael Shawcroft committed to San Diego State.
- 2019 Monte Vista DL Blake Schmidt has committed to Montana State.
- 2018 Cathedral Catholic INF Logan Whitesides committed to Sonoma State.
- 2019 Cathedral Catholic LS Nathan Weneta committed to Purdue as a preferred walk-on.
- 2019 Eastlake OL Vincent Santos picked up an offer from the Naval Academy.
- 2019 Carlsbad ATH Asa Turner took an unofficial visit to USC.
- 2011 Torrey Pines grad Garrett Stubbs was selected for the Triple-A All-Star game in Columbus, Ohio. Stubbs is the top catching prospect in the Houston Astros Organization.
- 2017 Madison grad Kevin Abel threw a complete game 2-hitter, striking out 10, to win the National Championship for Oregon State.
An incredible performance by Kevin Abel. pic.twitter.com/V91TXEZxHP
— Bodie DeSilva (@SDPreps) June 29, 2018
- 2019 Morse DB Shamar Martin committed to UCLA.
- 2019 Monte Vista RB Jahmon McClendon committed to San Diego State.
- 2019 Carlsbad ATH Asa Turner took an official visit to Washington.
- 2019 Lincoln DB Don Chapman took an official visit to Colorado.
- 2019 Francis Parker LS Peter Bowden picked up an offer from Pennsylvania.
- 2021 Bishop’s QB Tyler Buchner picked up an offer from Pennsylvania.
- 2019 La Costa Canyon OL Luka Trifunovic received a preferred walk-on spot to Northwestern.
- 2019 San Diego DB Jayden Wickware picked up an offer from Montana State.
- ’17 Madison grad Kevin Abel, a right-handed pitcher at Oregon State, started on the mound for the Beavers as they advanced into the College World Series Championship vs. Arkansas.
- ’17 Cathedral Catholic grad Brandon McCoy entered the NBA Draft following one season at UNLV, but went undrafted. He has agreed to play summer league with the Milwaukee Bucks.
- ’18 Mission Hills grad Kingston Liniak, a 4th round pick of the Detroit Tigers, picked up his first game-winning hit playing in the Gulf Coast League.
— James Chipman (@_jchipman) June 19, 2018
- ’08 Torrey Pines grad Connor Johnson was named the new Head Coach for the Delaware Blue Coats, the G-League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers.
— Delaware Blue Coats (@blue_coats) June 18, 2018